7,12-DIMETHYLBENZ[A]ANTHRACENE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 122-123 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:
- 183-184 °C765 mm Hg(lit.)
- 0.9 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index
- Flash point:
- 130 °F
- storage temp.
- Do you have solubility information on this product that you would like to share
- Crystalline Powder
- Yellow to greenish
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 57-97-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- 7,12-Dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (57-97-6)
7,12-DIMETHYLBENZ[A]ANTHRACENE Usage And Synthesis
A highly potent carcinogen that is activated by microsomal enzymes to a diol epoxide metabolite that binds covalently to DNA in mammalian cells, leading ultimately to tumor induction
ChEBI: A tetraphene having methyl substituents at the 7- and 12-positions. It is a potent carcinogen and is present in tobacco smoke.
Yellow to greenish-yellow crystals or a yellow solid. Odorless. Maximum fluorescence at 440 nm. Bluish-violet fluorescence in UV light.
Air & Water Reactions
Insoluble in water.
7,12-DIMETHYLBENZ[A]ANTHRACENE is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents .
7,12-DIMETHYLBENZ[A]ANTHRACENE is combustible.
Suspected carcinogen with experimental carcinogenic, neoplastigenic, tumorigenic, and teratogenic data. A transplacental carcinogen. Poison by ingestion, intravenous, subcutaneous, intraperitoneal, and intratracheal routes. Other experimental reproductive effects. Human mutation data reported. A skin irritant. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Purify DMBA by chromatography on alumina/toluene or *benzene. Crystallise it from acetone/EtOH. [Beilstein 5 IV 2587.]
- Benz(a)anthracene, 7-bromomethyl-12-methyl.
- Benz(a)anthracene, 5,6-dihydroxy-7,12-dimethyl-
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- 021-67121386 / 800-988-0390