Span 60 Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 54-57 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:
- 464.84°C (rough estimate)
- vapor pressure
- <1.4 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index
- 1.4593 (estimate)
- 3028 | SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE
- Flash point:
- >230 °F
- storage temp.
- Store below +30°C.
- Practically insoluble, but dispersible in water, slightly soluble in alcohol.
- Cream coloured flakes
- Water Solubility
- Soluble in ethanol (50 mg/ml), isopropanol, mineral oil and vegetable oil. Insoluble in water.
- Hydrophilic-Lipophilic Balance (HLB)
- Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 1338-41-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Sorbitan monostearate (1338-41-6)
Span 60 Usage And Synthesis
Sorbitan monostearate has a bland odor and taste. It is a mixture of partial stearic and palmitic acid esters of sorbitol and its mono- and dianhydrides. For additional details of description, refer to Burdock (1997).
sorbitan stearate is an emulsifier for water-in-oil creams and lotions, and a solubilizer of essential oils in water. It results from the reaction of stearic acid with sorbitol and is, therefore, synthetically produced from naturally derived materials.
Sorbitan Monostearate (Span 60) is a lipophilic emulsifier that is a sorbitan fatty acid ester, being a sorbitol-derived analog of glycerol monostearate. It is a nonionic, oil-dispersible surface-active agent. It is used as a gloss enhancer in chocolate coatings; as a dispersant aid in coffee whiteners; to increase volume in cakes and icings; and often in combination with polysorbates. Typical usage level ranges from 0.30 to 0.70%.
Glycomul(R) L is a sorbitan ester used for emulsification.
Glycomul(R) S KFG is used as emulsifier for baked goods, icings & filings and whipped toppings. It is also used as a rehydration aid (production of active dry yeast) and as synthetic flavoring substances and adjuvants. Product Data Sheet
Lonzest(R) SMS is used as a pigment dispersion additive for PP color concentrates and as an antistatic agent for PVC.
Prepared by reacting edible commercial stearic acid (usually containing associated fatty acids, chiefly palmitic) with sorbitol.
Very mildly toxic by ingestion. Experimental reproductive effects. A skin irritant. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- Calcium stearate
- Polyoxyethylene stearate
- GLYCERYL MONOSTEARATE
- Magnesium stearate
- GLYCERYL MONOSTEARATE
- ETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE
- SORBITAN TRISTEARATE
- MANGANESE STEARATE
- Sorbitan, octadecanoate (2:3)
- Sorbitan, dioctadecanoate
- Tween 80
- OCTYLPHENYLPOLYETHYLENE GLYCOL
- Bitumen emulsifier
Span 60 SupplierMore
- 14749365990 020-36293412-
- 13912856933 0513-88866234-
- 400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- 400-660-8290 21-61259100-