Phenethyl phenylacetate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 28 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:
- 325 °C(lit.)
- 1.082 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- 2866 | PHENETHYL PHENYLACETATE
- refractive index
- Flash point:
- >230 °F
- Colorless to sltly yellow liquid
- rosy, hyacinth odor
- JECFA Number
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 102-20-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- Benzeneacetic acid, 2-phenylethyl ester(102-20-5)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Benzeneacetic acid, 2-phenylethyl ester (102-20-5)
Phenethyl phenylacetate Usage And Synthesis
Colorless to pale yellow liquid or crystalline solid
Phenylethyl Phenylacetate has been identified in, for example, the flower concrete of Michelia champaca L. It is a colorless liquid or in the form of crystals (mp 26.5°C), which have a heavy, sweet, rose or hyacinth odor and a distinct honey note. The ester is used particularly in floral fragrance compositions and as a fixative.
Phenethyl phenylacetate has a heavy, sweet, floral and balsamic odor, somewhat rosy and a sweet, honey-like flavor.
Has apparently not been reported to occur in nature.
Phenethyl Phenylacetate is a flavoring agent that is a colorless or pale yellow liquid, with an odor resembling roses and hyacinth, which becomes solid at <26°c (78.8°f). it is soluble in alcohol, insol- uble in water. it is obtained by chemical synthesis.
By esterification of phenylacetic acid with phenethyl alcohol in the presence of H2SO4; also by direct esterification in the presence of gaseous HCl.
Taste threshold values
Taste characteristics at 25 ppm: honey, floral, green, rose, cocoa, hay and tropical body.
Moderately toxic by ingestion. Combustible liquid. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ESTERS.
- Acetic acid, diphenyl-, beta-(4-methyl-1-piperazinyl)phenethyl ester, methobromide
- 4-METHOXYPHENYLACETIC ANHYDRIDE
- (+)-ALPHA-METHOXY-ALPHA-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PHENYLACETIC ANHYDRIDE
- ecteinascidin 743
- RARECHEM AM UH V186
- (alpha-(Hydroxymethyl)benzyl)trimethylammonium bromide benzilate
- SPECS AG-690/08795015
- Phenylacetic acid
- Phenethyl phenylacetate
- PHENETHYL SALICYLATE
- 1-Phenylethyl propionate
- 2-Hydroxyphenylacetic acid
- 4-Hydroxyphenylacetic acid
- 2-Methylphenylacetic acid
- Phenylethyl isothiocyanate
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- 021-67121386 / 800-988-0390