COPPER FORMATE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 1,831 g/cm3
- green to blue
- Specific Gravity
- Water Solubility
- 12.5g/100mL H2O [CRC10]; insoluble most organic solvents [MER06]
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Formic acid, copper(2+) salt (2:1) (544-19-4)
COPPER FORMATE Usage And Synthesis
three forms of anhydrous formate exist: powder(s) blue, turquoise or royal blue crystal(s) [MER06].
Copper(II) formate is a royal blue material that obtains by crystallization from 75-85°C solutions. Crystallization from solutions at temperatures of 50-60°C results in the formation of a metastable dihydrate. A tetrahydrate can be produced by crystallization at lower temperatures.
Copper formate is used for the control of bacteria and mildew in cellulosic materials.
Copper(II) formate is produced by dissolution of copper(II) oxide in hot formic acid or by the reaction of copper(II) carbonate or hydroxide with formic acid. It can also be produced by aeration of hot formic acid over copper metal.
Blue crystalline powder. Sinks and mixes with water.
Air & Water Reactions
Salts, basic, such as COPPER FORMATE, are generally soluble in water. The resulting solutions contain moderate concentrations of hydroxide ions and have pH's greater than 7.0. They react as bases to neutralize acids. These neutralizations generate heat, but less or far less than is generated by neutralization of the bases in reactivity group 10 (Bases) and the neutralization of amines. They usually do not react as either oxidizing agents or reducing agents but such behavior is not impossible.
INHALATION: May cause nasal congestion. EYES: May cause conjunctivitis. SKIN: Irritation. INGESTION: Irritation.
- salicylic acid, copper salt
- COPPER PROPIONATE
- Ethylenediaminetetraacetate-copper-ammonia complex
- COPPER(II) TARTRATE MONOHYDRATE
- CUPRIC PALMITATE
- Cupric oxalate
- COPPER FORMATE
- DISODIUM CUPRIC CITRATE
- Copper acetoarsenite
- Copper benzoate
- 2-PYRAZINECARBOXYLIC ACID, COPPER(II) SALT
- Copper(II) gluconate
- MONO-N-BUTYL PHTHALATE COPPER(II) SALT
- CUPRIC LACTATE
- COPPER(II) OLEATE
- Cupric stearate
- POTASSIUM BISOXALATOCUPRATE(II) HYDRATE
- 400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- 400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- 18930552037 821-50328103-801