DIETHOXYMETHANE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- -66.5 °C
- Boiling point:
- 87-88 °C(lit.)
- 0.831 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density
- 3.6 (vs air)
- vapor pressure
- 60 mm Hg ( 25 °C)
- refractive index
- Flash point:
- 22 °F
- storage temp.
- Flammables area
- Clear colorless
- explosive limit
- Water Solubility
- 4.2 G/100 ML
- Stable. Highly flammable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 462-95-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Ethane, 1,1'-[methylenebis(oxy)]bis- (462-95-3)
- Hazard Codes
- Risk Statements
- Safety Statements
- UN 2373 3/PG 2
- WGK Germany
- Autoignition Temperature
- 346 °F
- HS Code
- 2911 00 00
- LD50 orally in Rabbit: 3536 mg/kg LD50 dermal Rat > 16600 mg/kg
DIETHOXYMETHANE Usage And Synthesis
Diethoxymethane (DEM) is offered by Eastman Chemical Company as a cost-effective replacement solvent for monoglyme (1,2- dimethoxyethane) and methylal. The DEM diether is stable under alkaline conditions, but can be cleaved by strong acids. Diethoxymethane can be used as a chemical intermediate in many organic synthesis reactions. Diethoxymethane is useful as a solvent in lithium batteries with nonaqueous electrolytes, as a solvent for polymeric materials, and as a fuel additive. As a chemical intermediate DEM can act as an ethoxymethylating reagent for alcohols and phenols and serve as a source for formaldehyde in organic synthesis.
A colorless volatile liquid with an agreeable odor. Less dense than water. Flash point below 10°F. Vapors heavier than air. May be narcotic in high concentrations. Used as a solvent and in the manufacture of cosmetics.
Air & Water Reactions
Highly flammable. Soluble in water.
DIETHOXYMETHANE, an acetal, is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents and acids. Breaks down to formaldehyde and ethanol in acidic solutions.
Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control may cause pollution.
HIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
Moderately toxic by ingestion. Flammable when exposed to heat or flame; can react vigorously with oxidizers. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
DIETHOXYMETHANE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- TRIS(2-CHLOROETHYL)- ORTHOFORMATE
- 3-CYANOPROPIONALDEHYDE DIETHYL ACETAL
- Cholesteryl oleyl carbonate
- N,N-DIMETHYLFORMAMIDE DICYCLOHEXYL ACETAL
- 5-Nitro-2-furaldehyde diacetate
- 3-Chloropropionaldehyde diethylacetal
- HECOGENIN ACETATE
- 2-Furaldehyde diethyl acetal
- Bromoacetaldehyde diethyl acetal
- Chloroacetaldehyde diethyl acetal
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- 400-610-6006; 021-67582000