Sodium metaborate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 966 °C
- Boiling point:
- 1434 °C
- white hexagonal crystals
- Water Solubility
- g/100g solution H2O: 14.10 (0°C), 22.00 (25°C), 55.60 (100°C); solid phase, NaBO2 ·4H2O (0°C, 25°C), NaBO2 · 2H2O (100°C) [KRU93]
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- Sodium metaborate(7775-19-1)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Sodium metaborate (7775-19-1)
- Hazardous Substances Data
- 7775-19-1(Hazardous Substances Data)
- Language:EnglishProvider:Monosodium metaborate
Sodium metaborate Usage And Synthesis
Sodium Metaborate is the sodium salt of Metaborate. Sodium metaborate is used in the manufacturing of borosilicate glasses. It is also a component of herbicides and antifreeze1. It can also be used as an oil additive with anti-wear properties2. Sodium metaborate electroreduction in the alkaline system can act as a novel desulphurization process of coal water slurry3. It also has role in hydrolysis of sodium borohydride to minimize the water utilization4. It can also act as a novel alkali in alkali/surfactant/polymer flooding5. It is also useful in the thermo-chemical production of sodium borohydride6, which is a safe and practical hydrogen storage material for on-board hydrogen production.
- Liu, Weimin. "The Antiwear Properties of Sodium Metaborate as an Oil Additive” Tribology 48.4(1990):290-293.
- Shen, Yafei, T. Sun, and J. Jia. "A novel desulphurization process of coal water slurry via sodium metaborate electroreduction in the alkaline system." Fuel 96.7(2012):250-256.
- Marrero-Alfonso, Eyma Y., et al. "Minimizing water utilization in hydrolysis of sodium borohydride: The role of sodium metaborate hydrates." International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32.18(2007):4723-4730.
- Chen, Fuzhen, et al. "Evaluation the performance of sodium metaborate as a novel alkali in alkali/surfactant/polymer flooding." Journal of Industrial & Engineering Chemistry 19.2(2013):450-457.
- Eom, Kwang Sup, et al. "Thermochemical production of sodium borohydride from sodium metaborate in a scaled-up reactor." International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 38.6(2013):2804-2809.
White lumps.Soluble in water. Noncombustible.
Herbicide. Also available commercially as octahydrate and tetrahydrate.
ChEBI: An inorganic sodium salt having metaborate as the counterion.
Herbicide, Insecticide, Fungicide, Nematocid: Not listed for use in EU countries. Registered for use in the U.S
Rasorite is one of the sources of borax which is produced by re-crystallizing the ores. Borax (Na2B407?10H2O) is a source of the boron micronutrient and has many uses.
ALLPRO BARACIDE®; ATRATOL®[C]; BAREGROUND®; MONOBOR-CHLORATE®; PRAMITOL®; TRI-KILL®; UREABOR®
- Barium boron oxide
- Sodium acetate
- Sodium perborate
- Sodium formate
- Sodium carbonate
- Sodium hydroxide
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Sodium metaborate
- STANDARD BUFFER
- METABORIC ACID
- Sodium tetraphenylboron
- Sodium chloride
- Sodium benzoate
- Sodium tetraborate
- Sodium citrate
- Sodium gluconate
- Sodium tetrafluoroborate
- 021-54306202- ;021-54308259-