Esculin Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 203 °C
- -88 º (c=2,dioxane/water1:1)
- Boiling point:
- 396.1°C (rough estimate)
- 0.791 g/mL at 20 °C
- refractive index
- -79 ° (C=2.4, 50% Dioxane)
- Flash point:
- 15 °C
- storage temp.
- Store at RT.
- methanol: 50 mg/mL hot, clear to very faintly turbid, yellow-green fluoresc.
- optical activity
- [α]20/D 41±2°, c = 5% in pyridine
- Water Solubility
- MODERATELY SOLUBLE
- Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 531-75-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- 7-Hydroxy-2-oxo-2h-chromen-6-yl hexopyranoside(531-75-9)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Esculin (531-75-9)
Esculin Usage And Synthesis
Aesculin (also Esculin) is a glucoside compound, which occurs naturally in unprocessed seeds, leaves, bark, and flowers of horse chestnut. Aesculin is used for the identification of bacteria, for the treatment of hemorrhoids and venous peripheral diseases. In cosmetics, aesculin was found to be effective in the treatment of aging skin. Owing to its ultraviolet absorbing activity, aesculin is employed in tanning preparations. Aesculin can be also used as a substrate for the detection of ß-gluocosidase activity in polyacrylamide gels.
 Anna D. Orla-Jensen, About the application of aesculin for the identification of bacteria, APMIS, 1934, vol. 11, 312-322
 S. Srijayanta, A. Raman and B. L. Goodwin, A comparative study of the constituents of Aesculus hippocastanum and Aesculus indica, Journal of Medical Food, 1999, vol. 2, 45-50
 Ki-Sun Kwon, Jaehoon Lee, Hyung Gyoo Kang and Yung Chil Hah, Detection of ß-Glucosidase Activity in Polyacrylamide Gels with Esculin as Substrate, Appl. Environ. Microbil., 1994, vol. 80, 4584-4586
 Dennis J Mckenna, Kenneth Jones, Kerry Hughes and Virginia M Tyler, Botanical Medicines: The Desk Reference for Major Herbal Supplements, Second Edition, 2011
White to nearly white
esculin is used as a skin protectant in ointments and creams. This is a glucoside compound originally obtained from the leaves and bark of the horse chestnut tree.
esculoside is utilized in formulations for the treatment of cellulite. es culoside is apparently beneficial for impaired microcirculation.
ChEBI: A hydroxycoumarin that is the 6-O-beta-D-glucoside of esculetin.
- 3-Hydroxyphenyl acetate
- LABOTEST-BB LT00848098
- 4-METHOXYPHENYL BETA-D-GLUCOPYRANOSIDE
- Mr Qiu:021-50182298(Demestic market) Miss Xu：021-50180596（Abroad market）
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- 021-67121386 / 800-988-0390