2-Methylbutyraldehyde Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- -67.38°C (estimate)
- Boiling point:
- 90-92 °C(lit.)
- 0.804 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- 2691 | 2-METHYLBUTYRALDEHYDE
- refractive index
- Flash point:
- 40 °F
- storage temp.
- Flammables area
- Clear colorless
- explosive limit
- Water Solubility
- Soluble in water, ether, and alcohol.
- Air Sensitive
- JECFA Number
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 96-17-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- Butanal, 2-methyl-(96-17-3)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- 2-Methylbutanal (96-17-3)
2-Methylbutyraldehyde Usage And Synthesis
2-Methylbutyraldehyde has a powerful, choking odor with a peculiar cocoa and coffee-like flavor when diluted. It has a sweet, slightly fruity, chocolate-like taste. May be prepared by oxidation of sec-butylcarbinol isolated from fermented fusel oil; the dl-form from sec-butyl magnesium bromide and formaldehyde; by reduction of methylethylacetic acid.
2-Methylbutyraldehyde has a powerful, choking odor with a peculiar cocoa and coffee-like flavor when diluted. This compound is also reported to have a sweet, slightly fruity, chocolate-like taste.
clear colorless to light yellow liquid
Reported found in apple juice, berries, grapes, papaya, peach, kohlrabi, onion, leek, peas, potato, bell pepper, tomato, peppermint and spearmint oil, breads, cheeses, milk, egg, fatty and lean fish, meats, beer, cognac, rum, cocoa, coffee, tea, filberts, peanuts, pecans, oat flakes, soybean, olive, passion fruit, plum, beans, mushrooms, trassi, macadamia nut, tamarind, cardamom, rice, quince, lovage leaf, pumpkin, sweet corn, laurel, malt, clary sage, truffle, clam, scallops, squid, Chinese quince and Roman chamomile oil, black currant and Swiss cheese.
By oxidation of sec-butylcarbinol isolated from fermented fusel oil; the dl-form from sec-butyl magnesium bromide and formaldehyde; by reduction of methylethylacetic acid
Taste threshold values
characteristics at 10 ppm: green, fruity, musty with a berry nuance, musty, furfural and rummy, with nutty and cereal notes, caramel and fruity undernotes.
2-Methylbutyraldehyde Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 1-(4-CHLOROPHENYL)-1-CYCLOPROPANECARBOXYLIC ACID
- ETHYL 2-FORMYL-1-CYCLOPROPANECARBOXYLATE
- Basic Violet 1
- Paraquat dichloride
- POLY(VINYL BUTYRAL)
- Methyl acrylate
- 2,2-Bis(hydroxymethyl)propionic acid
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- 400-610-6006; 021-67582000
- 021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- 400-021-7337 qq:2355568890
- email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org