4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 110-117 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:
- 237.52°C (rough estimate)
- 1.1690 (rough estimate)
- 3737 | VANILLYL ALCOHOL
- refractive index
- 1.4620 (estimate)
- storage temp.
- Store below +30°C.
- Fine Crystalline Powder
- Off-white to beige
- Water Solubility
- Soluble in 95% ethanol (5 %), water, and oils.
- JECFA Number
- Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 498-00-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- 4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol(498-00-0)
4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol Usage And Synthesis
4-hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol (also known as vanillyl alcohol) is often used as a deodorant component that is active in preventing the formation of body odor. It can also be used as a flavoring agent. Recent studies have also demonstrated that it has certain pharmacological effects. For example, it has been confirmed that it has certain neuro-protective effects through suppressing the oxidative stress and anti-apoptotic activity in toxin-induced dopaminergic MN9D cells, making it a potential candidate for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s disease.
Vanillyl alcohol has a mild, sweet, balsamic, vanilla-like odor.
crystalline white to off-white powder
Taste threshold values
Sweet, creamy and milky with a slightly powdery mouthfeel.
Brune, I, et al. "Under the influence of the active deodorant ingredient 4-hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol, the skin bacterium Corynebacterium jeikeium moderately responds with differential gene expression." Journal of Biotechnology 127.1(2006):21-33.
Hsu, Lun Chung, Z. H. Wen, and K. Y. Lee. "Use of vanillyl alcohol for the treatment of Parkinson's disease." (2009).
Kim, I. S., D. K. Choi, and H. J. Jung. "Neuroprotective effects of vanillyl alcohol in Gastrodia elata Blume through suppression of oxidative stress and anti-apoptotic activity in toxin-induced dopaminergic MN9D cells." Molecules 16.7(2011):5349.
- 3,4,5-TRIETHOXYBENZOIC ACID
- 4-BENZYLOXY-3-METHOXYBENZYL ALCOHOL
- 4-ETHOXY-3-METHOXYBENZYL ALCOHOL
- 2,3,4-TRIMETHOXYBENZYL ALCOHOL
- 3,4-Dimethoxybenzyl alcohol
- 2,4,5-Trimethoxybenzoic acid
- Vanillic acid
- 4-Hydroxy-3-methoxybenzyl alcohol
- Vanillyl butyl ether
- Phenethyl alcohol
- Benzyl alcohol
- CHLOROPHOSPHONAZO III
- 4-Nitrobenzyl alcohol
- 400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- 400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- +49 3493/605464
- 021-67121386 / 800-988-0390