Nitrilotriacetic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 245 °C (dec.)(lit.)
- Boiling point:
- 326.86°C (rough estimate)
- 1.5784 (rough estimate)
- refractive index
- 1.4860 (estimate)
- Flash point:
- 100 °C
- storage temp.
- Store at RT.
- 0.1 M NaOH: 0.1 M at 20 °C, clear, colorless
- 3.03, 3.07, 10.70(at 20℃)
- Water Solubility
- Insoluble. <0.01 g/100 mL at 23 ºC
- λ: 260 nm Amax: 1.5
λ: 280 nm Amax: 0.05
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 139-13-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- Nitrilotriacetic acid(139-13-9)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Nitrilotriacetic acid (139-13-9)
- Hazard Codes
- Risk Statements
- Safety Statements
- WGK Germany
- HS Code
- Hazardous Substances Data
- 139-13-9(Hazardous Substances Data)
- LD50 orally in Rabbit: 1100 mg/kg
Nitrilotriacetic acid Usage And Synthesis
White, crystalline powder.Insoluble in water and most organic solvents; forms mono-, di-, and tribasic salts that are water soluble. Combustible. 70% biodegradable.
Nitrilotriacetic acid is a crystalline compound.
Nitrilotriacetic acid is a chelating agent which forms coordination compounds with metal ions. Nitrilotriacetic acid is used in complexometric titrations and as well as for protein isolation and purif ication in the His-tag method.
Used in sequestration of metals; chelometric analysis.
Odorless white solid. Sinks in and mixes with water.
Air & Water Reactions
Nitrilotriacetic acid is incompatible with strong oxidizers, aluminum, copper, copper alloy and nickel. Nitrilotriacetic acid is also incompatible with strong bases.
Toxicity and health hazard of these compounds are low. Contact with eyes causes irritation.
Flash point data for Nitrilotriacetic acid are not available; however, Nitrilotriacetic acid is probably combustible.
Confirmed carcinogen with experimental carcinogenic and neoplastigenic data. Poison by intraperitoneal route. Moderately toxic by ingestion. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of NOx,.
Nitrilotriacetic acid (NTA) was used as a phosphate replacement in laundry detergents in the late 1960s. In 1971, the use of NTA was discontinued. The possibility of resumed use arose in 1980. NTA is now used in laundry detergents in states where phosphates are banned. NTA is also used as a boiler feed-water additive at a maximum use level of 5 ppm of trisodium salt. Currently, the remaining nondetergent uses of NTA are for water treatment, textile treatment; metal plating and cleaning; and pulp and paper processing.
Nitrilotriacetic acid is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen based on sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity from studies in experimental animals.
UN2811 Toxic solids, organic, n.o.s., Hazard Class: 6.1; Labels: 6.1-Poisonous materials, Technical Name Required.
Crystallise it from water and dry it at 110o. [Beilstein 4 IV 2441.]
Dust may form explosive mixture with air. Compounds of the carboxyl group react with all bases, both inorganic and organic (i.e., amines) releasing substantial heat, water and a salt that may be harmful. Incompatible with arsenic compounds (releases hydrogen cyanide gas), diazo compounds, dithiocarbamates, isocyanates, mercaptans, nitrides, and sulfides (releasing heat, toxic and possibly flammable gases), thiosulfates and dithionites (releasing hydrogen sulfate and oxides of sulfur). Attacks aluminum, copper, copper alloy and nickel.
Dissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
- (S)-N-(5-AMINO-1-CARBOXYPENTYL)IMINODIACETIC ACID HYDRATE
- BIOTIN-X NITRILOTRIACETIC ACID, TRIPOTASSIUM SALT
- (BIS-TERT-BUTOXYCARBONYLMETHYL-AMINO)-ACETIC ACID
- N,N-BIS(CARBOXYMETHYL)-L-GLUTAMIC ACID TETRASODIUM SALT
- CELLTRACE(TM) CALCEIN RED-ORANGE, AM
- N-BENZYLOXYCARBONYL-N-(5-AMINO-1-CARBOXYPENTYL)IMINODIACETIC ACID, TRI-T-BUTYL ESTER
- Nitrilotriacetic acid
- N-(5-AMino-1-carboxypentyl)iMinodiacetic Acid Tri-t-butyl Ester
- Nitrilotriacetic acid trisodium·hydrate,Nitrilotriacetic acid monohydrate trisodium salt,NITRILOTRIACETIC ACID TRISODIUM SALT MONOHYDRATE,NITRILOTRIACETIC ACID, TRISODIUM SALT MO NOHYDRATE, 99+%,Nitrilotriacetic acid trisodium salt monohydrate, 98+%
- NITRILOTRIACETIC ACID TRI(N-SUCCINIMIDYL) ESTER
- cupric nitrilotriacetate
- AMINOCAPROIC NITRILOTRIACETIC ACID
- N-((5-CARBOBENZYLOXYAMINO)-1-CARBOXYPENTYL)IMINODIACETIC ACID
- NITRILOTRIACETIC ACID-D9
- (BIS-TERT-BUTOXYCARBONYLMETHYL-AMINO)-ACETIC ACID BENZYL ESTER
- 2,2',2''-Nitrilotriacetic acid tripotassium salt,Nitrilotriacetic acid, tripotassium salt
- TRIETHYL NITRILOTRIACETATE
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- 400-610-6006; 021-67582000
- 021-67121386 / 800-988-0390