Potassium tetrafluoroborate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 530 °C(lit.)
- 2.505 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index
- Micro-Crystalline Powder
- White to light gray
- Water Solubility
- 4.4 g/L (20 ºC)
- Moisture Sensitive
- Stable. May decompose on exposure to water or moisture. Incompatible with metals.
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 14075-53-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- Potassium tetrafluoroborate(14075-53-7)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Borate(1-), tetrafluoro-, potassium (14075-53-7)
Potassium tetrafluoroborate Usage And Synthesis
It appears as white powder or gelatinous crystals. It has hygroscopicity with bitter taste. It is slightly soluble in water and hot ethanol, insoluble in cold ethanol.
- Used as the abrasive material of the thermosetting resin grinding wheel, the raw material of boron alloy, the fluxing agent of heat welding and brazing; it can also be used as the components of low chromic anhydride chrome and lead-tin alloy electrolyte.
- Used as analytical reagents and fluxes, also for the production of boron trifluoride, abrasive materials for the aluminum and magnesium casting, electrochemical engineering and chemical testing.
- Used as the fluxing agent of heat flux and brazing, and the raw material for the production of boron alloy using aluminum and magnesium casting; it acts as the filler in the heavy wheel using resin as abrasive adhesive. In the welding and fusion of silver, gold, stainless steel, it can clean up the dross of light metal. It is a raw material for the manufacture of boron trifluoride and other fluorine salts. Also used in electrochemical processes and reagents.
- Used as fluxing agent; also used for the metallurgical industry and for the preparation of boron trifluoride as well as the raw materials of other fluorine salt.
- Used as the resin finishing agents for textile printing and dyeing, improving agent of metal particle size and refining fluxes and the casting sand granules of the aluminum and magnesium alloy.
Fluoroboric acid-potassium hydroxide method:
Hydrofluoric acid and boric acid are sent into the reactor at a ratio of 25: 6.2 (weight ratio); the temperature does not exceed 40 ℃. The reaction continues for 6h. The prepared fluoroboric acid is fed to a neutralization tank and neutralized with a 5 mol/L potassium hydroxide under stirring and cooling (until the methyl orange is discolored). Precipitated potassium fluoroborate crystal is subject to centrifugal separation, washing and drying, obtaining the finished product of potassium fluoroborate. its
4HF + H3BO3 → HBF4 + 3H2O
HBF4 + KOH → KBF4 + H2O
Fluoroboric acid/potassium carbonate neutralization method: under the stirring of the coating container, apply the saturated potassium carbonate solution for neutralizing fluoroboric acid to until the methyl orange is discolored. The precipitated potassium fluoroborate is subject to centrifugal separation, washing and drying, obtaining the finished product of potassium fluoroborate. Its reaction is:
2HBF4 + K2CO3 → 2KBF4 + H2O + CO2 ↑
white odourlesss crystalline powder
Has been proposed as a flux for soldering and brazing; filler in resin-bonded grinding wheels.
Toxic by ingestion.
Poison by intraperitoneal route. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of F, K2O, and BOx. Used in sand casting of aluminum and magnesium, grinding, and in resinoid grindmg wheels. See also FLUORIDES and BORON COMPOUNDS.
Crystallise it from H2O (solubility% (temperature): 0.3 (3o), 0.45 (20o), 1.4 (40o), 6.27 (100o), and dry it under vacuum. It is a non-hygroscopic salt. A 10% solution is transparent blue at 100o, green at 90o and yellow at 60o. [V.rlander et al. Chem Ber 65 535 1932, Kwasnik in Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry (Ed. Brauer) Academic Press Vol I p 223 1963.]
Potassium tetrafluoroborate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Potassium tetrafluoroborate
- BORON TRIFLUORIDE-METHANOL
- Potassium borohydride
- Potassium chloride
- Potassium borate
- Potassium iodide
- Potassium Acetate
- Potassium persulfate
- Fluoroboric acid
- POTASSIUM METABORATE
- Losartan potassium
- Potassium Citrate
- Potassium sorbate
- Potassium borate
- Ammonium fluoborate
- Sodium tetrafluoroborate
- Potassium nitrate
- 400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- 400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- 400-005-6266 021-58432009
- 021 6845 0923